Monday, April 6, 2009

Not all fun and games...

Well, Clover has Diahrea and has for three days. Today Star started up with it. They're both really active and having fun and I'm doing all I can to help them, but it's a little nerve-wracking. It's like... having kids :)!

Both girls have really started to get super friendly. Clover will crawl into any willing lap and Star is finally coming to me to be fed instead of me having to catch her first. They're also eating standing up and two at a time instead of singly and on my lap. It does make me feel like a mama goat, though, esp. when I'm not moving fast enough and Clover starts to suck on my pants :).

Hubby built a corner pen in the big chicken pen for the baby 'chicks' (three chicks, one turkey poult, seven ducks, five geese) and it's taken a lot of stress off of my back to have only two fowl areas to feed and water instead of the four we had at one point. I've been giving the babies access to alfalfa and the geese are already looking fat. Good thing too, as they are destined for the freezer. The majority of the ducks and the turkey will end up freezer fodder too.

Hubby is head over heels in love with the middle-sized chickens, so we'll only be eating the males and keeping the others as layers. We should end up with eight laying hens if the ones I think are cockerels really are...

As most of you know, I have a pretty serious allergy to alfalfa, which means I have to scrub up frequently and am having trouble with my hands and arms as an effect. I live with tons of lotion slathered all over my arms and battling the 'scabs' I get when exposed to alfalfa (hard to explain, but if you've ever seen my mom's hands on a bad day, it's identical!). I try to avoid touching it as much as possible, but it's a sacrifice I have to make to have my homestead as I've always dreamed about.

Having the animals is keeping me more active this pregnancy and I think Kasen is thriving partly because of that. I'm eating better, too. I've had a couple days of still joints so far, and some bad nausea and headaches, but not quite as frequently.

And... I'm half-baked! Today! 20 weeks! Woohoo!

No comments: