Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Our Little Homestead







A week ago I put in the garden, this weekend my hubby put up shades and bird-cloth to protect it, so that nothing but the smallest birds can get in. Especially not our chickens. We love them, but draw the line at growing our garden for them. Anything remotely green gets snapped up, though the grass is started to turn the yard green-ish rather than straight brown.

It's starting to look like a little suburban homestead. We have the garden structure, with our peas and lettuce just starting to pop up. I can almost imagine what it will look like when the corn and melons and carrots are all up. It's a good feeling-- eating from our own little piece of dirt. We also have our corner for the chickens and the goats, when they arrive in late March. We're still building the goat-house, but the chickens are well moved in.


This weekend my hubby and the boys put together the milking stand I got on ebay. I'm happy with it. It's sturdy and strong.


Yesterday I let the boys play with my little tubes of acrylic paints and do what they wanted. It's very... colorful. I love it!

It will be interesting to see what everything will be like when the goats arrive. We've also talked about putting in a tree... though that will have to wait for now!

2 comments:

Martie said...

Wow, it all sounds so wonderful. What is the large red strusture? Hen house?

Elizabeth said...

Yep! That's the chicken coop. Kt & Ty built it and we love it :)