Wednesday, May 13, 2009

no explanation needed...

My practical side has been warring with my "dream" for a long time...

I want to homestead more than anything. In the beginning my hubby was only supportive of ME, not the idea. Now he's full on board and is as excited to do it as I am-- talking about getting a steer to raise etc. etc.

My husband is graduating with his Masters on Saturday and is already in the process of trying to find a better job. Currently we live on .2 acres-- seriously 0.20 acres... counting what the house is on. We have two goats, eight hens, three ducks, and a goose...

But it means that every single sound any animal makes is in the neighbors' business. That, when the goats start crying at five in the morning for no reason that we have to jump up, afraid that they're going to rouse the whole neighborhood.

So hubby and I have been discussing getting back down to just chickens until he gets a new job (he's in public administration, so not quite as hard as finding other jobs these days) and the right house on land for us to do this right. This means selling my bottle babies and probably eating me waterfowl... which is all tough decisions, but I feel like, until we have all the pieces together, it's really necessary.

I don't know if we'll ever luck out to get the quality of goats we got with our little girls-- they're lovely, but I'm putting them up for sale today and we'll see what happens... hubby did insist that we not go lower than a certain point...

And we WILL do the homestead... when we're in a better place...

SIGH.



Miniature milking goats are a great asset to any backyard homestead. Here is the complete package you need, or you can split it up! 1 miniature Saanen DOE, 12 weeks, disbudded, bottle-raised, friendly. Precocious udder. From great dairy lines. Ready to breed in October. Will go into heat cycles all year around for great stagger-milking. UTD on everything. From CAE etc. clean herd. 1 miniature LaMAncha DOE, 9 weeks, disbudded, bottle-raised, friendly. Precocious udder. From amazing dairy goat lines. Ready to breed in November. Should go into heat all year round. UTD on everything. From CAE etc. clean dairy herd. 1 NEW solid wood milking stand. May need new paint (my sons painted it... brightly!) Goats are already trained to go to the stand for grooming and treats. 1 complete starter milking kit with filters and seamless stainless steel pan, etc. 1/2 bag loose goat minerals, 2 types goat electrolytes, 2 large vials CD&T back up vaccine for emergencies. 1 grooming kit (standard horse-type) Complete holistic worming kit for both goats (preventative and effective!) As a package-- $650 OBO Does must go together $400 OBO for the pair. Serious inquiries only, please! Pictures on request.

5 comments:

trogonpete said...

you lost me at "my practical side..."

Elizabeth said...

Contrary to popular belief--- I CAN be practical!

trogonpete said...

darn

trogonpete said...

how boring

Elizabeth said...

I know... SIGH

This feels an awful lot like back pedaling... I hate it :p